FISHING AND IT`S IMPORTANCE IN OIL FIELD INDUSTRY Episode 1
FISHING AND IT`S IMPORTANCE IN OIL FIELD INDUSTRY
This article was written by: AYMAN S. BOLTY FISHING ENGINEER for SPE Suez as a part of SPE virtual campus program.
What is fishing? Fishing is the Technology of Removing/recovery of Any Undesirable Object from the Well Bore. So this means that the fishing technology is an intervention in the oil industry.
The art and science of fishing covers a wide range of possibilities. There is something in the hole that obstructs progress and the customer wants it removed. It is our job to figure out how to do this in the most cost effective and safe manner. Sometimes it can be like trying to pick up a ball of mercury. You must love the challenge or you will never be a successful fisherman.
After defining fishing we have to be capable with what fishing can do, familiar with the tools.
Fishing operations (jobs) are classified in to:
– Open hole fishing
– Cased hole fishing
– Milling operation
– Electric line pipe recovery
– Other remedial operations
Fishing is needed in cases like:
– Parted/stuck drill string
– Stuck/Damaged completion
– Casing (stuck, damaged, cemented, parted, etc.)
There are another deviation in fishing, it`s called RE-ENTRY fishing and It consists of:
– Casing exit Technology
– Multilaterals Technology
Before we explain fishing in details we have some rules it`s called ‘’ CARDINAL RULES ‘’ :
– Know your dimensions
– Know where the top of the fish is
– Know all tensile and torsion
– Never rotate the fish out of the hole
– Fast trip time is not always the best
– Must be O. D. fishable
– Familiarize yourself with the fish
– Verify all pertinent information
– Record BHA/pipe in hole/driller
– Count all work string on location
– Tie off any pipe in derrick
– Clean out V door, mark first joint
– On first trip out, strap out of hole
– Verify pipe count/top of fish
– Stay with your number once you determine depth
And you have to know all of this knowledge is not enough to create the fisherman, you have to train a lot, and practice.
Now let`s start in details explaining different types of fishing cases, tools and the best way to deal with it.
Fishing for junk:
Any undesirable object that is stuck or accidentally dropped in a well is referred to as “junk.” Junk may include bit cones, tong dies, broken slips, reamer parts or debris created by a fishing or milling operation, or any other small debris that could impede normal drilling operations.
The junk could be:
- Bit cones
- Float collar and wiper plug debris
- Rig tools
- Slip elements
- A joint of backed off casing or any number of things
After defining junk we have to know the best fishing procedures to save our customer money and time and to do that you have to ask some questions like:
- What is the junk?
- Is it magnetic?
- Will junk fit into standard junk basket?
- Is the junk mill able?
We will need a good description of exactly what the junk is in order to make a good decision. Other than wall off the junk, there are only two ways to fish junk, that is to pick it up with some type of fishing tool or mill it up. With enough time and money, you can mill up just about anything. Often, we will not know what tool to run next until we get out of the hole and see what the results of the current trip is. Remember, all jobs are unique in one way or another. It is possible that the job will require a combination of different tools/or runs.
This is most of tools that we use with junk.
Common methods for fishing junk include:
1. Fishing magnet
2. Junk mill
3. Boot basket
4. Globe type junk basket
5. Reverse circulating junk basket
6. Junk shot l poor boy basket.